A roof is designed to keep water off the house. However, a leaking roof is the exact opposite of its purpose which is a big headache to any homeowner. Fixing leaks on a roof is one thing, replacing the roofing material is another thing. Whatever the issue may be, this can be easily prevented with simple things to keep in mind in order to avoid such problems from taking place.
Keeping the roof leak-free is simple. Yet, it demands dedication and perseverance in order for any homeowner to fulfill his or her duties to the safe keeping of the house. In this article, you will learn the five things any individual should keep in mind in order to prevent dripping water into his or her house. These are simple ways that any average person can perform and maintain regularly to keep the condition of his roofing materials at their best.
- Acquire the Right Tools, Sealant, and Extra Roofing Materials – in case of emergency, the best thing to do is to have all the necessary tools. These are needed to be able to easily repair or replace any part of the roof that needs immediate attention. Among these are caulk, hammer, nails, flashings, shingles, sealant, tar, chisel, cement, and cleaning tools. Another great idea is to provide a place where you can secure and store these tools and materials without getting damaged or stolen.
- Regular Inspection – make a checklist on your calendar on what date you are going to climb and check the condition of your roof. In case you are quite busy with your schedule, you can always schedule a visit upstairs at least once a month. The purpose of this inspection is to make sure that there are no holes, cracks, or crevices on the roof. This is also a good time to do some repairs and repainting jobs. Aside from the roof itself, you can also check the soffit vents, ridge vent, cornice, and other parts of the roof materials.
- Clear Any Debris Upstairs – when you are on the roof, make it a good time to check the drainage system if there are no debris clogging the pathways of the water. You can also test this by running water from a hose in order to ensure proper function of the drain lines.
- Emergency Leak Measures – there are just times that you are not expecting leaks from the roof. However, these need immediate measure on your part. For this reason, it would be best if you have extra roofing materials to cover the leaking part of the roof.
- Knowledge Regarding Roof Repair and Replacement – although you can always get help from a professional roofer, it would still be great to have a piece of knowledge on how to fix and change defective roofing materials in case of emergency.
Keep these simple things in mind. And surely, you will have a peace of mind even during the harsh weather condition. The reason is because you know that you have done your best in keeping the roof and the materials are in perfect condition.